Aug 27, 2013

a day without rain

It's going to be one of those very long weeks where every day is an eternity and friday comes shockingly quickly.

Monday, yesterday, I'm struggling to remember anything remarkable that happened. I skyped both my parents, and I ate at burrito.

Well who gives a prickly pear about eating a burrito, you may  be saying, You're in Mexico.

Actually, burritos are rare in the capital. They're a decidedly northern Mexican dish and its just something you don't normally find here. I was directed to a burrito stand near my office from another article in my go-to website: Culinary Backstreets. I went with the recommendation: the Hawaiian. With bacon sauce.

The cook slaps a massive flour torilla on the grill and chops up a hot dog with minced ham and uncooked bacon, and then after its sizzled for awhile, throws on some thin sliced deli ham. Then he adds sliced pinapple chunks and drizzles the pineapple juice over the grill to cook it all together before tossing in the shredded cheese and picking it up with the hot torilla. Last goes in a long squirt from the bacon sauce bottle.

I took a bite and suddenly I was ten again, eating the hot dog roll ups mom used to make in Phoenix, which was basically a flour torilla rolled around a hot dog and string cheese stick and heated up. Actually, it was really tasty. I ate every bite, and used the left over tortilla to mop up the bacon sauce and the escaped pineapple. 35 pesos.

Today I got to the office around 8:45 and there was nobody there. Even after one of Tatiana's assistants unlocked the door, it was me, the assistant, and another intern for the next two hours before some people finally started trickling in.

And then after lunch, everyone left, including the assistant, so it was just the other intern and I, and lacking any meaningful work for the day, we just sat around and talked. The hours oozed by in the overcast and sleepy day.

It was an eventful day for online work though- I got a rejection note from a Boston architecure firm, I applied to a firm in Germany, I submitted my boards for this architecture thesis competition, and a relatively famous architect in Chicago who does really cool water infrastructure projects shot a few emails back and forth and he's going to include some of my river maps I did for my thesis in a book he's working on. So that's kind of exciting.

Glass of wine and a can of black beans for dinner. No rain today.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende