Aug 28, 2013

night of the musuems (reprise)

After work today, I met K for a beer and some food near the office, and we talked about the pincha teacher's union before she left to go meet her lawyer. 

Since tonight was the Night of Museums, where all the museums are open late and free, I caught a bus downtown. It was a beautiful night, cool and brisk, no rain.

I really love the center of Mexico City at night. Neon in the windows, blazing florescents lighting up late night taco stands and snack vendors, buildings old and new dramatically uplit. Tons of people out strolling, making out, sitting, conversing, just messing around. 

Tay's comment still cracks me up. I'd warned him about all the public displays of affection in the streets here, and after a night of walking around, he said "it's like the Mexican youth are going off to war." 

What's really funny is that many times, the guy will totally not be into it. I've seen guys checking phone messages and playing smartphone games while totally entwined. 

Anyway, I walked to the national museum of arts which was open until 10pm, and got to see a really fantastic exposition of historic photography from Mexico City, from 1840s darraguetypes to contemporary photos. Really stellar exhibit. I might have to pick up the exhibition catalog.

Walked back under the monument to the revolution and caught a metrobus back home. Going to miss this town. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende