Aug 3, 2013

hey big spender

I splurged on last night's dinner and entertainment.

The total damage came to nearly $17. What can I say, sometimes the hedonist in me comes out in defiance of rice and beans and cup ramen dinners.

I walked to the tiny burger joint a half block from my apartment, and they served me a up a Burgher Yankee- a giant juicy slab of meat topped with bacon and BBQ sauce and all the trimmings, and also the first curly fries I've had in four months, and washed down with a cold Heineken.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I avoid crappy Mexican brands.

Afterwards, I walked up Nueveo Leon a half mile to get to El Pendulo, a bookstore/full service restaurant-cafe. On the way, there, I passed two hookers plying their trade, in full view of two motorcycle cops. I think Nuevo Leon must be a zone of tolerance like el Merced. Is it sad that I know both the current and past zones of prostitution in this city?

Anyway, El Pendulo is a fun place, filled with bookshelves, movies, and mixed in with tables, balconies, and outdoor patios. I ordered a decaf americano and a nata tart. The nata tart was kind of like  a very mild cheesecake with a graham cracker crust in a sea of really delicious berry compote.

I ate and drank and read more from the twisted and labrynthine work of Carlos Fuentes for a few hours. Walking back home, I passed about a good dozen hookers. And then a bad dozen. I need to remember to avoid Nuevo Leon late at night.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende