Aug 27, 2013

Antares Mall in Polanco

The last few days have really gone by at the regular speed of 60 minutes per hour.

Saturday, I hung around the apartment after making pancakes for breakfast, and only got out after reviewing my list of places I wanted to go before I leave Mexico.

I went to an upscale mall in Polanco, the Antares. This is actually a really nice mall. From a purely architectural standpoint, its probably my favorite mall in the Americas, and just behind the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai. The one in Dubai happens to have a bar that sells hot chocolate. Inside a fake log cabin surrounded by snow on an indoor ski slope.

Anyway, this one is really nice, a gracefully curving canyon of glass and open terraces and bridges, where the food court seating, instead of the dark dinginess of most food courts, is a massive arcing terrace which overlooks the rest of the mall.

The stores were of course typical Polanco- way too much money spent in an attempt to make it feel like an American mall which ultimately just kind of feels pathetic. The mentality is just differnet. For example- nothing is on sale. There's no sale racks, like the overall mall experience would be devalued. It was the nicest Sbarro's I've ever seen.

Even the pretentious georgian facade of the Brooks Brothers store looked embarassed to be there.

I caught a surprisingly convenient bus back to Sevilla metro and walked to catch the Metrobus home, stopping for a burger, fries, and a beer at the grill next door.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende