Aug 27, 2013

standard deviation

Sunday, I got up and walked to work. Actually, I had no intention doing real work, but I wanted to use the office computers to send out job applications and to make boards for an international thesis project competition.

I had to walk, because the metrobus was not running due to the Mexico City Marathon. I followed runners all the way to the office. It was surreal, actually. No cars on the normally congested streets, people just out walking, and tons of runners.

Bystanders shouting "Si, se peude!" (you can do it!) and "Vamos!" (Let's go!) at all the runners. There were a ton of racers. I actually had to cross the route four or five times, and the runners were so thick, that every time, I had to carefully time my entry, run with the marathoners for a few hundred feet while I moved across the street, and work my way back up to where I crossed.

At the office, I met my coworker Moises who was there and we basically had coffee and worked all day there. Around three we took a break and got Papa John's pizza. In general, pizza in Mexico is appallingly bad. How, you may ask, do you screw up something so simple, and so horribly? Maybe my stardards were just low, but the pizza we ordered at Papa John's tasted well within a standard deviation of the US pies.

I also grabbed a couple of beers from the convenience store downstairs to go with the beers and the applications after I'd finished the competition.

I ended up helping Moises work for the last two hours, and I finally left around 9:30pm, about twelve hours after I'd arrived in the morning. So that was sunday.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende