Aug 7, 2013

Nadine

My first architecture job was a summer internship way back in 2006 (and seven years later, what is my job title again?) with DWL Architects in Phoneix, Arizona. Before long, I was working under the direction of Nadine, one of the project architects in the office.

Under her direction, she was my guide to the reality of the world of architects- the world of politics, of legal codes, of collaboration, the architect's relationship to consultants, contractors, clients, engineers, officials, and product reps. She told me that, "designers are a dime a dozen, but people who can draw a good detail are few and far between." She was a model manager- I never felt micromanaged, we set up a good system of communication, and I never felt like I was interrupting her. Even though I screwed up a few times, she was level handed with her criticism. I worked under her for three years, through the entire surreal nightmare of the Basic Science Building.

She had a great sense of humor, a bit morbid, a bit scientific, she was the one who turned me on to the XKCD webcomic. She was the rare architect who was cynical but still managed to laugh and find delight. She was the one who organized group lunch outings for like minded colleagues in the office, and thoroughly enjoyed the leisurely meals on local restaurant patios.

When I started, she was almost nearly bald, recovering from cancer treatments. When I told her that I'd been accepted to Wash U, her hair had almost totally returned. Unfortunately, so had her cancer. She was a canny fighter, who resorted to her strong personality when her guile failed to bring contractors and consultants into line. She fought off cancer twice, and even upon receiving a death sentence, continued to come to work and fight the good fight. She got more involved with her bead making, and geology, even as her physical condition deteriorated. Towards the end, she was confined to a wheelchair, and her friends came together to make her house accessible including the building of an access ramp.

After I left for St. Louis, we exchanged a few letters which tapered off. I heard from a friend she passed away this morning. I think she was in her late 40s.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende