Oct 26, 2013

Cooking with Alec

Brenda came to spend the night with us after coming for an AIA women architect's convention which included a presentation by Billie Tsien.

Spent a lot of time in the kitchen today. My ambitious menu for tonight's dinner was chicken tortilla soup and squash salad. The way Bayless structures the recipes requires very little technique and a lot of manual labor and steps. For the soup stock, I had to first saute chopped onions and garlic and then boil a tomato to prepare it for peeling and seeding. All that stuff went into a blender and then simmered for 30 minutes with chicken stock. That's just one part of one dish.

For the garnish, I bought tortillas, cut them, and fried them myself into strips for the soup. I bought special chiles, stemmed and seeded them, and then (over)fried them just to add as a garnish.

I overcooked the zucchini, making it mushy and I should have NOT put in any sour cream until the moment of service. The zucchini needed salt, the soup base was too salty. Overall, pretty good though. Fun to bring all the parts of the soup together though.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende