Oct 19, 2013

Phoenix

Tay and I landed in Phoenix Tuesday morning, after an easy early morning flight out if Houston. Larry picked us up at the airport in a rental and we drove out to meet mom for lunch at her office.

We ate at Lolo's chicken and waffles, a place which had really killer fried chicken. There was a deliberate decision to fill the menu with southern Ebonics e.g. "drank menu" that it would have felt like House of Blues, which is to say, 'safe' places for whites to experience black culture. However, Lolo's was started by a black family out of a converted house, and the clientele is still mixed, so the provenance at least denies censure. And the food is damned good.

Mom worked the rest of the week so Tay and I settled into a luxurious pattern of waking up late, meeting mom for lunch out someplace, seeing movies, and having usually lighter dinners in or out.

We saw Captain Phillips and Gravity both of which I enjoyed a lot and thought were both great movies. Tay insisted we see Gravity in IMAX 3D and it was a good call.

We ate lunch one day at Phoenix Central Market, which was really good, a fresh downtown place next to where they hold the farmer's market.

I met Kiyomi-san one day for lunch at the Heard. I borrowed Larry's pickup and since it was the first time I'd driven in about a half year, I drove slowly in the right lane the whole way. She took off for Germany the next day to visit Saori.

Tay and I took off for the Dillards outlet and then Bookman's for an afternoon.

This was the shopping weekend. We struck out early and hit
Nordstrom Rack
Men's Wearhouse
Arizona Quality Outlet Mall
(break for delicious lunch at Bink's midtown)
Scottsdale Fashion Square
Arizona Mills outlets

I can't believe I spent the entire day shopping. I picked up a pair of pants, jeans, and shoes.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende