Oct 22, 2013

Still in Phoenix

Got my glasses I ordered from Warby-Parker last Thursday. The only problem was they were the wrong prescription. I called them up and over the phone with a rep we looked at the emails I'd sent back and forth. They realized they'd written down the wrong number for one of the lenses, so the woman apologized and told me they'd start working on an expedited order immediately to be next day sent to Arizona as soon as they were done. Really, I cannot complain with that.

Today I borrowed Larry's bike and rode to the Scout camp at 19th street a few blocks away. The camp actually contains a trailhead to the south mountain park trails, so I hiked up the trail for a little over an hour. It's a really good trail. Instant gratification for getting into the mountains, no messing around with gentle grades or foothills. I hiked up to the end of the road at the top, turned around, and hiked back down. Next, I want to do a loop of crossing the mountains. Mom's old house to her current house. Or something along those lines. It felt good to work my legs, and to take a deep breath of the dry desert air and catch the hint of the desert jojoba.

I've been using Duolingo's app to study German. It's a slow process, but I'm already translating things like Die Jungen essen Brot (the children eat bread). I just need to keep at it around 30 minutes a day.

I met Sally and her kids for lunch yesterday at Chino Bandito. Some things change (her kids are older) but some things stay the same (Chino Bandito food). It was good to see her. It sounds like she's got some hard times going on with her business.

Tonight, I met Sal and his fiancee Staci for dinner at the Vietnamese restaurant on Apache for some pho. I missed pho in Mexico, although it feels like it could be a Mexican dish. Just throw in some hominy, change the broth to a pork base, and pum!, pozole.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende