Oct 6, 2013

Wrapping up

I got back from Colima state early thursday morning. For the past few days I've been packing, sorting, and wrapping things up here. There's a lot of work to do. I've got a cardboard box of stuff I'm going to give to Mathilda, the maid, including some clothes, some books, and some shoes.

Friday afternoon, I went downtown and bought a very expensive (well, for Mexico) bottle of mescal which is the best I've ever had. Then I went to a tiny hole in the wall place for paella valencia. It's one of those places which is absolutely ancient, in business for over fifty years, tiny, casual. Instead of waiting for vacant tables, you wait for vacant places at tables, so typically, you're sharing the tables which seat four people. The paella was good, not the best I've ever had, but it was recommended as the best in Mexico City, the seafood was fresh, and for five dollars a plate, it's cheaper than a McDonalds combo meal.

After the paella, I went to the office to say goodbye to everyone. I brought the coffee and some of the salt I picked up in Colima. People were happy to see me, but very busy, which is a good thing. Sounds like work is picking up, or at least the intensity. It made me happy and sad to see everyone again, possibly for the last time. Some of the people there will travel internationally. Other's probably won't. When I first came to the office, I thought everyone was just kind of cold. You really have to work to crack open their shells to get to know them better. I will miss them actually, and they were sad to see me go. They tried to convince me to stay in Mexico.

Saturday morning, I went out to CENART (see previous post) and then hit the centro historico. Bought a cheap duffel bag for all my crap. Why, why, why do I have an eye for ceramics? I'm even leaving most of my hats behind. I did hit my favorite taco stand close to the Ciudadela, and they serve tacos al pastor which make me swear.

After the tacos, I walked over to Roma where I went to an indie design and craft fair inside an old mansion turned into a theater. Tons of shoes, jewelery, clothes, graphic tee shirts. Outside, they sold beers and chinese food and "designer hot dogs." I caught up with Carlos, the jewelry designer who is really good friends with Saori's old roommate Joyce, and the four of us actually met up in Joyce's apartment many years ago in Tempe, AZ. If your friends travel, its a very small world. Strolling down Colima road in Roma, I really wish I wasn't leaving.

K's friend M came to town to visit and she's been showing him the town. He's from Wisconsin and has never been to Mexico so it's been interesting to see his perspective. The three of us joined a bunch of other teachers from the American school at a snobby seafood restaurant mostly filled with fresas (super preppy Mexican bros, mostly on daddy's money). The shrimp taco was really good, although the single shot of mescal I ordered ended up being the most expensive part of my meal. To be fair, I worked on that mescal while everyone else had two or three beers, so the cost worked out to be about the same. Took the metrobus home.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende