Oct 30, 2013

Special Report: World Saved by Alert Blogging Community

It was a dark and stormy night.
And then the world ended.


Hmm. A little abrupt.

I've been working on a short story for Halloween. I usually try to punch something out since Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. Anymore though, reality is more terrifying than anything you'll find in a costume shop, haunted mall parking lot castle, or a Rob Zombie movie.

What if the very air you breathe causes cancer? What if the congressional NSA oversight committee had no oversight? What if a fleet of armed flying robots were killing hundreds of civilians and children? What if we were losing the fight against bacterial infectious diseases? What if Polio came back? I worry less about zombies and more about bunker mentality.

We should take Halloween as a moment to reflect on the things that should scare the bejeezus out of us. I want to see people dressed in suits with top secret clearances, as MRSA, as George Zimmerman. I want to see predator drones instead of Predator. I want to see people dressed as cars.

Sorry, just need to clean the spittle foam off the tablet.

In addition to ranting, I helped shuttle Larry back and forth to the CSR repair center to get mom's car fixed, and then I bought a pair of running shoes at the Nike factory outlet. When I got home, I worked on roughing in the paper machie skulls for Dia de Los Muertos and went for a run. 3.2 miles. A good start. Also did some local job hunting although no luck yet.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende