Oct 9, 2013

Houston

I think everyone should live outside the US for at least six months- it's such a bizarre and fascinating place to return to with fresh eyes. I walked to Walgreen's today from dad's townhouse, and I spent about 20 minutes browsing the "As Seen on TV" aisle. Yes, I know those products are an extreme manifestation of what it is to be American, but still.

Also, as I walked today, it should be noted that the streets and sidewalks in México city are better than those here in Houston.

This morning, I got up early and went with Neri to the Galleria where she plays tennis. I was still tired from travel, and hungover from to much beer and wine, so I grabbed breakfast at the food court McDonalds, and bathed in the light of the Chick-Fil-A just sat and thought for a long time. I started outlining a short book I'd like to write about design, wants and needs, and power.

Then I went to an eye doctor.

I've been trying to get a pair of Warby Parker eyeglasses but they're damned insistent on having a non-expired prescription. My first idea was to ask nicely and remind them that their competitors Zenni and Coastal.com both are happy without prescriptions. I briefly flirted with the idea of simply photoshopping a new date on the prescription, but finally I caved and simply shelled out the $80 for an eye exam at LensCrafters. Weak option. My vision had changed only slightly, but I sent off the order today. I should get it soon sent to Phx, my next destination.

They dilated my eyes so I spent the rest of the morning shopping at the Galleria with my sunglasses on. It made me wish I had a graphic tee which said "I'm not wearing sunglasses because I'm a badass- I just had my eyes dilated." Neri got me a few new heavy sweaters for Germany, so I now feel just about set. Still need shoes and a coat, although I think I can find a coat secondhand at some of the used clothing stores either here or Phx. Or the outlet malls.

Really good lunch of blackened catfish at a restaurant in the Galleria, and then came back and slept a bit before heading out to the Walgreens.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende