Mar 4, 2006

Eureka!

Thank you, Jeffery Cook, a recently deceased professor who taugt architecture history at ASU. I found a bound course packet he assembled and edited in the 1960s at the huge book sale for $3. In it, he incuded a preface to Andrea Palladio's Four Books on Architecture, and a brief discussion of the text. He raised a key point, a keystone in the floating argument I needed to create a thesis for comparing Palladio to Sinan, the Ottoman architect. I live for moments like these. The chocolate covered expresso beans I had a little earlier are playing that role too, great caffinee buzz past midnight, the downtempo trip-hop of Massive Attack flowing from my speakers.

Today I picked up a bunch of dad's stuff from his office, the opposite end of town. Inside he had some familiar statues and some very dated pictures of me, taylor, and mom. Taylor was still a good foot shorter than I was, for instance. I stopped and bought some very cheap necessites (great deals on batman and Ice Age cereal for a dollar) plus bread and PB for sandwhiches. Also picked up my shoes which I'd forgotten at the pubic pool in Scottsdale.

Did some designing for my pool project in sketchup, very general rough 3d models. With extended edges, and simple line transparency, it looks like a rough sketch on the screen. Maybe I'll post some images later.

From the tone of my posts, one may get the impression that I'm overstressed and unhappy. While there are crunch times and crises in my college life, in general, I'm satisfied with my lifestyle. My work seems vital and relevant to me, I'm extremely optimistic about my future in college and in my career, and designing is the coolest thing. I do admit I am frequently stressed, don't get any excercise other than biking 2 miles a day to and from school, and probably don't eat enough. However, I've not been seriously ill for at least two years (knock on wood). I can't remember the last time I was bedridden. I've managed to keep my head above the water so far. My only "social life" is online. I could make more time for it, date and socialize more, but its just not what I want. I'm tired of waiting for my next step of development, and I think all of this is slowing me down and holding me back, especially since I'm too quick to submerge my will in friends and the fluff of socializing. For this reason, I need an extended period to throw myself into my work, in order to more fully define myself. Bring on the crucible.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende