Apr 10, 2013

the sims

It´s been a little difficult to eat lately. Usually, I’ll grab a pastry from a street vendor on my brisk walk to work, bit the last two lunches I’ve been too busy trying to get daily living logistical stuff organized to make it the hearty home cooking kitchen. Today for example, I spent my lunch mostly walking around looking for a WiFi hotspot to Skype my bank. I did manage to grab a sandwich from a cart on my way back in. (By the way, people in mexico city put avocado on everything- its wonderful).

The upshot of today was that I did finally get a new Sim card and successfully identified the correct template to cut it down, so now with Tay’s x-iphone, I have a mexiphone! ¿Que onda guay?

Today riding the combi back, I was surprised to hear two young Mexican guys conversing mostly in English with some Spanish thrown in. Not sure if its a status thing (English = educated = privileged), or if it was for my benefit as the obvious gringo, or if they just enjoy it as something kind of cool and interesting.

Ate a huge dinner of black beans and Alejandro’s mom cooked lentil soup with turkey chorizo which was pretty good. Also some oranges I picked up at the grocery store down the street. Tired and stuffed now.
Found out today that Alejandro had once been mugged out at one of the places I probably frequent daily and at night. He didnt want to freak me out by telling me where it happened, but he did give me some good advice:

Wallets frequently don’t have much money in them, backpacks are difficult to take off quickly (since thieves operate on time crunch) so the first thing they demand is a cell phone since there’s always a demand at least for spare parts. He recommended I keep my crappy phone always handy to immediately surrender to muggers, and the iPhone in my bag. I expect I will get mugged at some point here, but I feel prepared for it. Its not like I’m carrying my passport, large sums, or computer tablet around.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende