Apr 14, 2013

Welcome to Virginland!

I wanted to write about the massive complex that is the Cathedral of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

I wanted to say that it is a Latin American Catholic Disneyland, complete with over the top architecture, crowd control, themed signage, overpriced souvenir shops and food and drinks, and numerous staged photo opportunities where you can have your photo taken on a donkey with the Virgin. I would have added that the only thing missing would have been a lovable Virgin and Jesus in costume, strolling the immaculately maintained grounds and sculpted topiary. I wanted to write about the market next door, a sprawling labyrinth just outside the gates where you can find several trillion rosaries, statues, crucifixes, cards, and other religious paraphernalia mixed in with the comida corrida and liquados stands.

However, I have nothing to stand upon to make my critiques, so I will simply say the view from the topmost shrine was beathtaking and worth the climb up all the steps.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende