Apr 17, 2013

why I'm here

  1. to gain experience working in a boutique firm setting. In essence, 
    1. getting a cool name for the resume to round out corporate experience
    2. actually learning what its like to be in a fast paced environment, the project flow, the clients, the colleagues, how projects are managed and how the office is run. 
    3. I really like the type of civic-public work the office does, and I’m here to learn how too make public space, and how to direct architecture and planning towards particular social and ecological goals.
  2. a break before leaping back into the depths of working in the us. A vacation of sorts, tropical weather, tourism, exotic locale, I’m here go out and enjoy myself in the city and country. To gorge myself on great Mexican food.
  3. research. I’m here to study the city, in particular the relation of the city to water and the vanished lake, the way the slums and the sprawl interface with the city, the urban form and evolution, a case study of a historic city which refuses to ossify but continually destroys itself and rebuilds
  4. to extend my network of friends, to meet interesting people and see what they think.
  5. to get really good at Spanish. It would be so great to be bilingual. If my ultimate goal is to be fluent in Japanese, Spanish, and Chinese, I’d be happy to cross one of those off my list.
  6. to make the mystic leap to professional, to leave behind petty tourism and interning, to be an architect, to experience the city as an architect, making this a part of my career, not some disposable summer. At 28, you don’t get disposable summers.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende