Apr 27, 2013

working for the weekend

Got to sleep in an extra hour today. Had a relatively leisurely morning of making banana pancakes and listening to old American blues and soul music. There’s something about the combination which makes me happy and nostalgic for pancake breakfasts with friends and family, and makes me think of St. Louis.

Left for work a little after 9. One of the things I love about Mexico city is there’s such an intensity of street life. Walking to work, I passed through the usual hubub of the vendors and stalls around the metro entrance, and then past a huge neighborhood market of clothes and housewares. Also passes by a commercial being filmed at one of the local corner stores.

Got to work at 10:30 and worked until 8, at which point I was getting very worried if I was going to be able to catch a combi back, so I just left. Felt really bad since the team’s been working really late hours every day. What could I do? I might have been able to call Alejandro and figure out which combi gets close and then walk, but everything is a little more dangerous and is a little harder when you’re a gringo with a tentative grasp of the language. Ended up not having any problems catching a combi back. Actually, I felt so bad I wrote them an apology email when I got home.

And I’ll be able to apologize in person tomorrow, when I come back in for another full day of work.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende