Jun 14, 2013

Ita

I had the pleasure of meeting Sal's grandmother on several occasions before I went to Mexico. Most of those times, I was down in Rio Rico, visiting Sal's wonderful family. For one party, she made tinga, my first experience with the central Mexican dish. She spoke almost no english, but she still made me and Saori feel incredibly welcome.

Years later, when I arrived in Mexico city to stay in the house her husband had built when they were both young, she remembered me, which is remarkable for the few times we'd met and her advanced age, but even more remarkable was the fact that she remembered Saori too and remembered we were together.

To reassure my nervous grandmothers about my move to Mexico, I told them I was going to be watched over by Sal's grandmother, and they were much relieved, as all grandmothers belong to the International League of Grandmothers.

Living in her house, I would greet her whenever she shuffled by the bedroom I was occupying. She wanted to be so helpful, she tried to wash dishes and make beds, even when her strength had failed her.

Her daughter and son-in-law moved in with her years ago to help with the house and to take care of her. Her grandson, Alejandro, in training to be a doctor, took amazing care of her and treated her with the level head of a professional, and the compassion of family. The entire family made huge sacrifices to accommodate her, and the extended family that could came down over two weeks ago to pay their last visit.

"Ita" for "Abuelita" (little grandmother), clung to life so faintly for so long, but passed away this afternoon, around the time that the afternoon rains started today. She will be deeply missed by many.

1 comment:

chavo said...

Gracias Alec,

Chavo

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende