Jun 28, 2013

ups and downs

Today was a mix of ups and downs.

[-] At some level I knew that my $300 root canal was not all that I was going to have to pay. Today I went back to the dentist and talked about options for filling the canal. Depending on the condition of the tooth remaining, the cost will be around $700 for the reconstruction. Worst case, they have to in with the post and rebuild the tooth. Best case, they can do an inlay for a lot cheaper and that will hopefully hold me until I'm employed somewhere with dental benefits. (Although those insurance bastards will probably have a clause somewhere that states that fixing past dental work will not be covered).

[+] barbacoa tacos for lunch! see post below.

[-] Tonight I set up my student loan repayment schedule. For 300 months. I'm not insane- the interest alone on that sucker would be more than a year of school. But it sets the minimum payments low NOW when I'm tight on cash, so I can OVERPAY when I start to have a positive cash flow in my life. Or I could be killed in traffic here and get off scot-free.

[-] Roommate left early this morning. The apartment feels pretty empty.

[+] After grocery shopping, I re-arranged the furniture in the main living space. This is a positive because it's a modicum of design satisfaction.

[-] the cheapest flights I can find to Germany cost about three times my monthly salary, and take me about 40 hours to get there. The proposed itinerary includes items like "11 hour layover in Newark"

[+] I talked to my boss David today and he okayed my travel plans to Germany.

[-] sore throat and drainage still bothering me. No fever or lightheadedness though.

[+] I'm proud of myself for actually getting some important stuff done this week which I was procrastinating.

Think I'll round out this incredible friday night with some laundry folding and maybe, if I'm feeling really wild, read another chapter in Octavio Paz's analysis of the events of Tlatelolco in 1968. Chingon!

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende