Jun 10, 2013

Warning: this post is rated PG-13 for Language

Really tired today, didnt sleep well last night. I did finish the tome about Mexico City. El Monstruo by John Ross was a long read but massive in scope and rich in detail. It's a political analysis of the history and politics of the city he lived in for fifty years after coming in the 1960s as a beat poet/journalist/activist/draft dodger.

He lived in an ancient hotel in the city center and I still stop and look up at the balconies. He died of cancer less than two years ago, shortly after finishing the book.

A good book, not for the casual traveler, but more from someone interested in Mexican history and politics. It's helpful to live in this massively conflicted city.

In other news, the maid came today and cleaned everything and made the beds and put my junk neatly in the corner on top of my suitcase, and my roommate K left me a donut. Is it bad that I can I can identify the maker by taste, or can everyone tell the difference between Krispy Kreme and some other mom and pop shop?

I moussed my hair today to try to get it under control. I have a feeling that I will leave Mexico with a hair product habit. It's probably about pincha time, tambien. I also like how my tablet autocorrects "pincha" to "Ponca"

Actually, it seems like American explicatives are the best. Explicatives in Spanish are either too weak or too strong. There are real fightin' words no Mexican will say sober or without great passion. Americanese, on the other hand, have a great variety in the middle range, useful in a lot of situations and flavors of mood. It's fucking versatile, man.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende