Jun 12, 2013

Vote Morris

Worked with Ed the Scotsman today on the house drawing details. My coworker Julieta did all the work, and I just asked a few questions and made some minor tweaks and sheet layouts, and so I kind of feel like she should get to have her work critiqued rather than me, since its pretty good experience and Ed is a really experienced detailer.

I can't complain, I'll take the experience, although there's bound to be be semantic issues and drafting and building conventions that don't align between Europe , Mexico, and the US.

For example, this is a house with two floors- an upstairs and a downstairs (no basement). The downstairs is about the same level as the ground around the house. In Mexico and Europe, the upstairs floor is called the first floor, and the downstairs is called the ground floor.

It makes sense if you call the second floor the first floor above the ground which is why they call it that. I guess if you think about a building like a chart, you have a baseline of 0 and you have to go up to 1. The convention falls apart when you lamely admit that in a typical 2 story house, there is no second floor.

Absolutely riveting, I'm sure.

Anyway, today I saw another example of the subversive and allegorical approach Mexicans seem to favor in dealing with big political issues. Apparently there's a town in Mexico that is so filled with corrupt officials (locally known as rateros [rats]) that one man is running his cat, Morris, in campaign for mayor.

The campaign quickly went viral, some graphic designers lent a hand, and now everyone in Mexico knows about the state of corruption in Xalapa. Maybe something different will happen this election as a result.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende