Jan 13, 2005

Ikea and Creme Brulee

Today I went to Ikea. With the three printers I now own, one inkjet/copier/fax, one laserjet, and one large scale inkject, I needed some kind of shelving unit. Ikea it was. After getting only slightly lost with Jen, we found the big blue building. I could not believe how cheap the prices were for the furnature until I realized that I was dealing with aluminum tubing and hollow laminate. I ended buying a large four-shelved rack which looks great with my desk, another Ikea product. It was relatively inexpensive at 50 bucks. Assembled, here is a picture of it with all my printers and stuff on it. http://www.deviantart.com/view/14074837/ Jen bought a glass coffee table on wheels. On the way home I picked up my Amazon.com package including the Lord of the Rings, and Hot Fuss, the new disc from The Killers, one of the new 80's electronic bands. Worked from 3-7 this evening at the bookstore. Biked home and made my first attempt at Creme Brulee. It might have turned out better if the oven had heated up, but for some reason, the oven refused to get above a certain temperature. So it semihardened even as it sat in the hot oven. When I figured out what was going on, I cooked it again. When it seemed set, I chilled it for an hour, then used the torch. I heated it from too far away for too long, so even though I got the nice crispness of the carmelized (not burned) sugar, the custard was heated. The consistany was way off, and taste was off too. Hopefully, next try will be met with more sucesss.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende