Jan 18, 2005

Off to a Bad Start

I woke up early this morning, at seven AM, left ten minutes before work, and made the unpleasant discovery that during the night, both of my bike wheels had been stolen. This was dad's mountain track bike, not the gary fisher. Oddly, the criminal left the gel pad seat. So, began the day by walking to work, where it developed into an absolute madhouse. The new set up is horrible, no one knos where to go or where to stand in line. We had one area with 4 people in line, and another area with 40. It's like no thought at all was given to how people would move throughout the floor to the registers. It's irritating. Worked 4.5 greueling hours, a Cashierbot 200o. Right after I got off, I hustled over to my first class, intro to urban planning and development. The school is packed, and worse, there's no parking which means people are driving around like crazies. Urban planning looks pretty easy, taught by an elderly Korean immigrant who admonished the class to never mix grass with drink. He's really trying to connect with the class, to show he's "one of us," to what end we shall soon see. At least he has a good grading system. Four papers, each one only 1-2 pages long. Attendance is important too, but its not going to be a problem I dont think considering it's time. After class I walked home and drove the bike to Tempe Bicycle. I told them I wasn;t sure what size wheels I needed, but that I needed new wheels, inner tubes, tires, gear stack, and I also picked up some new pedals, as my old ones had been torn apart. Total price came to $130. I opted to put it togather myself and save some time. After I had assembled the rear wheel, I put it on the bike and realized that it was too small. It was a 26" wheel, and I guess I need a 27" since the brakes were grasping near the top of the tire and there was a huge distance between the back of the fork and the top of the tire. So, later tonight, when the traffic clears, I'll take it back and get it straightened out. Kind of a downer day. At least here, when you're robbed, they dont pretend that they're doing you a service, like in Russia.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende