May 17, 2010

dumbphone for me

Today I looked at cell phones as mine is getting a little long in the tooth. It's been awhile since I've been cell shopping and I was stunned at how 80% of the phones on display were smartphones. Of course, a smartphone requires a data plan, which ranges from $20-$30 a month ON TOP of the regular service plan costs.
Telecom people must be rejoicing as much as the studios are dancing over the 3D cash cows. Look: I spend 90% of my time in a place with high speed wifi that I can access for free. Wifi runs about a hundred times faster than any existing cell network. Yet none of these alleged smartphones let you tap local wifi networks because it's much more profitable for them to sell you narrow bandwidth slow service. They can charge a lot more for tanker trucks instead of a pipeline.
I appreciate the fact that it is that 10% of the time when you may need your wireless 3g or Edge network the most, but don't charge us for it the other 90% of the time.
Compared to cell phone telecoms in Europe, and south America, American telecoms are holding Americans hostage with arbitrary two year commitments. I predict in a year it will be impossible to get a plan that does not include data.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende