May 9, 2010

More Fun with Revit

Last week, I was working on VCT (vinyl tile) patterns and I wanted to show the client what the pattern would look like in a real space within the building as opposed to a 4x4 grid of the typical pattern. So I figured out a pretty easy way to create a pattern and load it as a material to render. I've been having some fun with this. I started with a blank wall segment in photoshop 4" wide by 12" high, so I could set up a 1" grid to lay out tile. With that grid, I brought in various colors, or you can also bring in images, and then saved the whole thing to a materials folder as a JPEG.

In Revit, I created a new material and loaded the image for it, and set the image to be 2' typical (so that each tile is 6") and added a bump pattern that would give a tile and grout texture for that same scale. With this basic set up, it was now possible to play around with various tile pattens because all I had to do was save over the old tile JPG with the new one, and Revit would render the scene with the updated pattern.

Ole!

[Updated: later this afternoon]
For those of you not familiar with computer modeling, this is not a photograph, nor an edited photograph. This is a rendering, a completely computer-generated image. It took about an hour to 'build' the model of the bathrooms in 3D, two years of nudging walls and sinks and counters around, 20 minutes to set up the rendering parameters, ten minutes to make a festive tile pattern, and about five minutes to actually render.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende