May 9, 2010

Laptops for architects

I got my first laptop when I graduated high school, a Dell Inspiron, which worked out great. It cost a grand or better, but it came with the latest and fastest hardware available. It lasted through four years of architecture school, running some of the most graphics intensive programs this side of CG video editing. Functionally, it held up great despite my dragging it back and forth to studio on a daily basis and several trips around the world. When it finally crapped out from internal power issues, I was ready for another Dell.

The second laptop I purchased about two years ago in expectation that it would go with me to graduate school. It set me back about $1500, but the specifications I got on it still make it school appropriate. I picked up a precision M4300, upgraded the processor to an intel core 2 duo T9300, and upgraded the graphics processor to a 512MB Nvidia Quadro FX. I'd say its still a top of the line machine. 

I found a good page which describes and explains the ideal configurations for computers for architecture here.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende