May 17, 2010

Sustainability I

Definition, via Merriam-Webster:

Pronunciation: \sə-ˈstā-nə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1727
1 : capable of being sustained
2 a : of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged
A relatively simple definition with complex terms. Another way to understand sustainability is as not stealing from the future.

Personal standpoint- I believe that theft in general is wrong, stealing from your future self; stupid, and stealing from your children; neglectful to abusive. I consider myself a "people first" kind of person who values quality of life for all mankind. Trees aren't people, and neither are animals. You will never see me chaining myself to a tree or fighting for whale's rights. However, both trees and whales are vital in this incredibly interrelated world, and if I fight for them, I fight for the role they play in sustaining mankind. We need the Earth and it's resources, but we can't continue to use them in the way we have been. Either we can radically change our approach, or we will have change forced upon us. When I talk about sustainability, I am talking about sustaining the human race.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende