May 5, 2010

Rules of architecture

Three rules of architecture I try to keep in mind while working:

1)       Ask the right people the right questions.

2)       Ask why at least three times.

3)       Question everything.

 

Of course, the cardinal rule of architects is: Beware of public transportation. Antonio Gaudi was struck down and killed by a Barcelona streetcar, and the great modernist Louis Kahn died in the bathroom of a New York Subway. Ok, maybe that’s not the cardinal rule, but it’s still something to keep in mind.

 

The real cardinal rule of architecture is protect the building inhabitants. It strikes me as somewhat odd that in four years of education, this point is never mentioned, even in passing. I’m not talking so much about ADA or even fall height requirements, I’m talking about if the building catches fire, can you get everyone out? If there’s an earthquake, will the building collapse? Basic catastrophe mitigation. All else follows.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende