May 30, 2010

Miscellany from the weekend

This morning, I got up relatively early, dropped a load of stuff off at Goodwill and hit the grocery store. While I was there, I noticed there was some beer I liked on sale, so I picked up a six pack. Unfortunately, I was a little too early. Arizona has a law that prohibits the sale of alcohol on Sundays between the hours of 2am and 10am, and between 2am and 6am the rest of the time. In fact, the laws are so rigidly enforced that when I got in line at 9:54, I was informed that the register computer would not ring up the purchase until 10am. Maybe bullshit, maybe not. It made me mildly irritated at the state legislature. I think that people of legal age and condition should be able to drink whenever they want, and after heavy restrictions on WHO can drink and WHERE you can drink, it seems unnecessarily nanny-state to say WHEN you can buy alcohol.

For the record, I am going to be moving from one of the more restrictive alcohol states to one of the least alcohol restrictive. For example, Missouri has no open container laws. Also, as long as your driver doesn't partake, the guy riding shotgun is allowed to shotgun along with anyone else in the car. There's an area of Kansas city that lets you wander from bar to bar or liquor store to liquor store clutching whatever booze you choose. In case you were getting concerned, at this point of my life, a real loose night is one where I have more than one beer. And that's only if I'm not working the next day.

Anyway, after dropping the groceries off at my house, I washed my car at the coin operated car wash, which is actually a lot of fun. The foaming brush, the high power rinse which threatens to leap out of your hands. When its dry and hot, its kind of nice.

Watched another stupid movie this afternoon- Mortal Kombat. Or at least part of a stupid movie since it got to the point where the stupidity factor overwhelmed the fun factor. It's got an enjoyable setting and the martial arts is fun, but the wooden acting and dialog is a shade beyond campy. Great theme song though.

Spent a long time this afternoon working on the Perkins-Yamane Design website, which you can see here: www.perkinsyamane.com. I learned the basics of HTML in middle school for a computers class where we had to code basic websites about the solar system. Really really simple stuff. I could show most people how to make a basic website in about fifteen minutes. Actually, if you want to see how I did Saori's and my website, follow the link and click the right handed button, and then click on "view source." As you can see, it's pretty simple stuff. Ok, there is CSS but you don't really need it for a website to work. 99% of what you see on the website is the stuff below
.

I'm still working on it- I'm not happy with the way we're presenting our projects, but its going to take a lot more effort to change it to a logical and internet-ready form. Also, some the links are dead, like our resumes.

1 comment:

Ivonek Badilla said...

Checked out your website over the weekend, looks great Alec! Congrats to you both on grad school, thats awesome man.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende