Mar 22, 2013

next thing you know I'll be voting republican

The past few weeks have seen me play a little against type- I went shooting at a gun range, I sold my Prius and drove around Phoenix in a pickup truck, I advised my grandmother to buy an iPad, and I bet money in a NCAA march madness bracket.
 Actually, the latest departure could be the most shocking- I went shopping at Jos. A Bank. I would suggest that the vast majority of clothing stores I go to are either relatively cheap (goodwill, target) or relatively fashion-forward (J Crew, Banana Republic) or somewhere in between (urban outfitters, gap, H&M). Expensive and stuffy is not my scene. I think even Brooks Brothers has built a more fashion oriented portfolio than Jos. A Bank. Nonetheless, I was gifted a coupon for $20 of anything (is there anything for sale under $20 there?) So today Neri took me there.

They did have a few shirts that fit me OK, and the color was nice, no question about the quality, but I didn’t like the collar so that was out. I did end up getting a black linen shirt which has roll up sleeves. I think it will work pretty well when its hot and humid. For all of our advanced material science research, graphene, aerogels, piezoelectrics, nothing beats linen which is one of the oldest fabrics known to man for comfort in hot humid climates.

My big as achievement of the day, however, was filing my taxes. I can’t believe it was so easy. I just made up answers to every question. Actually, it took me several hours of work and numerous websites with past bills and financial data. The weight on my shoulders was that 2012 was the year I liquidated an IRA to pay for school and I was terrified of the penalties I thought I was going to be forced to pay. However, since all of the withdrawals went to pay for educational expenses, the penalty dropped to 10% and I was able to claim a lifetime learning tax credit that boosted my return into the black. Unfortunately, Missouri was not so lenient, so I still need to pay them about the same amount I’m getting back from the federal government. Still, I was so happy and relieved not to be owing a small fortune, I could have danced.

Light dinner of broiled fish tonight, a really nice cut of tuna from the gourmet grocery store, served with mini portobello mushrooms and salad with a wasabi+soy sauce+mayo marinade/sauce.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende