Mar 4, 2013

Ponca City to Edmond

Had a sleepy day in Ponca today- got up around 8, and grandma made us a simple but nice breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast, and then we lounged for awhile before running errands.

I dropped grandma at the bank and picked up some replacement foam ear pads for my Koss port-a-pros, and then we hit up Wal-Mart. I’ve been kicking around the idea of upgrading my underwear to a more “technical” moisture-wicking variety since Mexico City in August is probably going to rival Dubai, and I wanted to briefly price the briefs.

Anyway, after that errand, we went to lunch at Enriques, in my opinion, the best restaurant within a hundred miles of Ponca City. It’s a Mexican restaurant inside the 1940’s tiny airport terminal at Ponca City’s municipal airfield- the windows look out onto the runway, mostly frequented by small private propeller planes. It’s owned by Enrique, a Cuban immigrant who started the business in the early 80’s. Fortunately, he is allowing his Cuban heritage to shine through the good American Mexican standards: I don’t know where he gets his ingredients, but you can get authentic fried plantains and cristos y morros.

I drove grandma’s car through the car wash, and we headed back to mostly snooze off our Mexican lunch, and I skyped Saori for awhile. I’m so happy we both have the means to see each other and videochat.
A little after four, I took off for Edmond, which turned out to be only an hour and a half away- a cake walk compared to the distances I’ve been hitting out the last few days.

In Edmond, I unpacked at my Aunt and Uncle’s house, including hauling out my tower and large monitor. It’s my intent to work on brushing up my computer software skills before I head down to Mexico City. They set me up in Aunt Ashley’s scrap-booking room.

For dinner, they grilled up some steaks and baked potatoes, salad, and mushrooms for the steak. Splash of Worcestershire- perfect. Everyone apparently splits tomorrow morning probably before I even wake up, but I’ll try to wave sleepily at them.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende