Mar 18, 2013

birds, billikens, and burritos

Today is mom’s last day of unemployment and she wanted to see wildflowers so we all grabbed our birding guides binoculars, and water, and headed out to the Bryce Thompson arboretum. There were a few setbacks related to the following facts:
  1. The arboretum is located approximately 60 miles east of Phoenix on US60
  2. It is a spectacularly beautiful day
  3. It is St. Patrick’s day
  4. Most people are not working today
  5. The Arizona Renaissance Festival is located approximately 40 miles east of Phoenix on US60.
So we sat in RenFest traffic for awhile, less than an hour.

The arboretum was pretty crowded too with their plant sale, but once you cleared the visitor’s center things really spread out. For some reason, nearly everyone brought their dogs, and I nearly saw a fistfight break out when two small dogs got lose.


It was a beautiful sunny day though with a nice breeze, and although there were more wildflowers along the highway leading to the arboretum than at the arboretum, it was still such a pleasant time nobody really minded. We did see quite a few birds- cardinals, mockingbirds, swallows, goldfinches, hummingbirds. It was also good to stretch my legs since the only exercise I’ve had since I left St. Louis has been moving my suitcases from place to place.


Traffic wasn’t as bad coming back to Phoenix, and we stopped at a Filliberto’s for dinner. Good horchata. I’ve had a lot of different preparations of horchata ranging from the thinner type I get here in Phoenix, to the nearly frozen-margarita consistency I got in St. Louis, to the extra pulpy variety I got at a fast food place in Albuquerque.

Low key night- filled in my NCAA basketball bracket, mostly based on places I identified with where I lived (Arizona) or family lived (Florida, Indiana). I tapped St. Louis to win, although their mascot has already won the creepiest mascot contest:

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende