Nov 15, 2004

Camelback and Yann Martel

Saturday I worked in studio for 13 hours straight, interrupted only by an hour for a chicken and rice bowl at Teriyaki Stix. I've got a architectureal model that breaks some rules, but I think my instructor will approve. At one AM, Cassie, Whitney and Kevin dropped by after watching The Incredibles. I was invited, but as I had turned down going ice skating with Jen, and I still had work to do, I had to decline them too. It really gave me pause to think about how much architecture consumes my life. Architecture should be classified as a religion. It's gods are Truth, Form, and Rationality, and its prophets and priests go by the names of Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright, et all. The student of architecture is a priest-in-training, accepting dogmatic prinicples, learnning the distortions of the architectural gods and distortitng it further himself. There are rites, rituals, acts of passage. It hollows the mind and fills it with itself. The accomplished architect is revered by society. The only real question is how far I want to let it dominate my life.
Sunday I slept in and ate bagels while I read the newspaper. Then Jen and I drove to Camelback in the convertable. It was as beautiful a day as I've ever seen it here, it was warm and sunny, the sky was blue with small white clouds, and there was a constant cool wind. We got about 3/4 up the mountain before Jen became weak from hunger. So we went back down and headed back to the apartments. After I got back, Ben and I went to Big 5 sports to look at old rifles. Ben (a history major) has a deep interest in these old guns, german and russian rifles, used in WWII.
Afterwards, I took a long nap. When I woke up, I worked on my interior renderings for formZ, and read Life of Pi. I finished the rest of the book, then went to bed.
Got up this morning, and dropped the philosophy classes I was going to take and instead added a class in urban design. The business accounting class i had tried to get into was full, so I'll have to try that later.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende