Nov 16, 2004

Lacking drive...

A disk drive, that is. Lots of computer stuff today, but first, the brief backstory: my laptop has two batteries, an internal and a swappable bay battery. My internal battery stopped sucking up juice a few days ago, but the system ran fine when it was plugged into the wall. Then today, the bay battery wouldn't charge either. I called up Dell Tech Support, got to a technition in under five minutes, and his english was excellent. We figured out that my internal battery was fried (bad news) and it would cost $150 to replace (worse news) but that the bay battery wasn't getting charged since the internal battery was blocking the charge (good news). So I took out the internal and now the bay battery is fully charged. After class, I drove to the ASU suplus store and picked up a used Dell monitor for five dollars. Dad left me a nice computer, boxed with an unopened keyboard and mouse. I loaded a OS on it and then it told me that the computer had no hard drive. It had memory, but no apparent hard drive. Something to investigate. I'm pretty sure there's one in there, but I'm not sure if we did something to it to erase the data on it. Anyway, I set up a little workstation in the hallway between the bedrooms and it feels like it completed the apartment.
After that, I went grocery shopping, and then on to architecture studio. I worked from 6:15 until 12:15, so a good six hours. I did take about an hour break in there to grab a slice of pizza and a large cherry coke. What makes soda and pizza so good? It's like rediscovering a lost love every semeseter.
While I let the glue dry on my project, I wanded around the building. I discovered a hatch at the top a ladder on the top of a stairwell had been left unlocked, so I cautiously crept onto the roof of the arch building. It was pretty boring, a standard modernist flat roof. So I walked across the bridge, on TOP of the bridge. It was actually very safe, considering the bridge was at least 20' wide, with four foot tall walls around it. I kept to the center, to avoid being seen from below. But no one ever looks up. The roof of the new arch building was much more interesting. There were little 3-walled structures like small huts set up in a grid to let light fall into the studios below. The walled edge was an excellent balcony with a view of University drive below and A mountain in the distance. After about ten minutes of poking around, I let myself back down again.
Now, it's a little after One AM, and Ben is as excited as I've ever seen him. He's like a new puppy vibrating with anticipation and joy. Today Halo 2 is unleashed upon the world. And Ben is unlocking it as I type. He will not sleep tonight.
I, on the other hand, am a student of architecture, and I have no such luxury.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende