Nov 9, 2004

recovery

Had a rushed morning, begining with the fact my alarm didn't go off at 10 AM. My body woke me up at 10:25, and I had made previous arrangements to get the key to the storage room I desperately need at 10:30. So i threw on a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, and took off. I literally flew to the architecture building (I need to either start wearing a helmet or bike less agressively) dodging traffic and sleepy college students. Made it there too late, must have just missed the guy. Still, I was right on time for Studio.

The studio teacher did desk critiques today, and I was fast enough to sign up second.
He has three types of classes. In whole groups, we pin up or display what we have and he critiques us in front of the group. The problem is it gets really boring really quickly. Especially since you're just sitting there for about 2-3 hours. Small groups work better, generally four to a group. That way you get more of an idea of what everyone else is doing and it gets over a lot more quickly. Last is individual desk crits, where he gives you direct and personal criticsm. Only problem is that he can't see everyone when he does individuals. Anyway, he liked the way I was going, and recommended another architect to investigate. I'm basically working with light washes and how light fills the spaces. Anyway, he recommended that we come to class veterens day. I'm definately going to go. I'll have to hike with Cassie in the afternoon.

Got a lot of reading done for my architecture test this friday. Still about forty pages to go, plus reviewing my notes and re-reviewing the stuff I already read. In Religon and Popular Culture, we reviewed for the test on Jesus In Disneyland. I really wish people didn't take the class just because its an easy Culture credit, or if they did, that they woulnd't make incenderary, stupid, or smart-a**ed remarks. It's one of the things that really irritates me. I thought I left that kind of idiocy in high school.

Kicked back tonight and watched some Samurai Jack on DVD. The individual episodes are so much better than the movie, so I was glad there was one extra on the DVD. Looked at the photographs I took of my model today in sunlight, and made some new sketches for my next iteration of models. That's for tomorrow though. For now, its bed.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Interesting insights on the life of an architecture student. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende