Dec 16, 2011

Burj Bubba

Old habits die hard, apparently. I was tired but couldn't bring myself to sleep last night so I read until I started to pass out around 11:30. Then, around 7 AM, I was wide awake and panicked. Totally unsettled for some reason. I had to check emails and phone messages to begin to calm down. It's probably just my body is so used to leaping out of bed and running on adrenaline.

You can't run full speed for three months and then suddenly stop into relaxing mode.

Anyway, yesterday we had a leisurely morning and headed into town. Met Uncle Jeff and Aunt Ashley for lunch at a Mexican place in bricktown. The food was about how you think it would be, although they served us Tecate in giant frosted glass goblets.

There's a giant tower going up in downtown, which will be the tallest in Oklahoma. It's a Meisian wet dream- concrete columns and slabs and the whole thing wrapped in glass which is way too transparent, the whole thing 50 floors, about 250 meters tall, which soars above the surrounding towers. I jokingly called it the "Burj Bubba" (the burj Dubai is by contrast, four times as tall)

Kudos to the city for getting an iconic tower and optimistic symbol of a urban renaissance, however, the use of all that glass and treating every side of the tower the same means that its going to bake in the brutal Oklahoman summers.

Spent the rest of the day shopping, hitting the mall to wrap up Christmas shopping. Amazing day to be there, and really really hard to stay focused on buying for other people when J Crew, Gap, and Banana Republic are all 40% off everything.

Dad spotted a restaurant in the mall that looked familiar- Cantina Laredo, which is their favorite spot to dine when going into the West End in London when they catch a show. Same menu.

We stopped at the tri-county Wal-Mart in Grandma's area to pick up a few things, and on my way out, I saw the new cell phones with the 3D screen. It's pretty amazing, and I don't know how it works except its 3D without glasses. I'm amazed that I'm seeing this technology for the first time in a rural wal-mart in Oklahoma.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende