Dec 15, 2011

misc. work

It's 1:30 AM. I got six hours of sleep last night, which really isnt recovery sleep (although strictly speaking you never really "recover" from sleep loss) and I'm driving the 9 hours to Oklahoma tomorrow. I really hate this part of studio. Documentation of my work which will never see the publication they're collecting it for because it's just not good work. Cleaning out my desk is probably the biggest weight off my chest as I get rid of months of accumulated models and printouts and sketches- I wish that instead of throwing them away I could burn them. 

Throwing all my permanent studio tools in the car- chair, chest of drawers, tea box and boiler, widescreen monitor that no longer works with my computer because my laptop graphics card is shot. 

Oh yeah, I'm gonna need a new laptop next semester. 

The apartment is still a mess although I think I have the suki situation worked out. Instead of driving my elderly cat for 9 hours down to Oklahoma and making my grandma deal with her for four weeks, I'm having a network of friends look after her here. The other serious upside of this situation is that I wont' need to make a return trip to Oklahoma to rescue Suki after I get back. I'm also wanting Suki to be home to greet Saori when she gets back from her travels. 

Yesterday, in the middle of my studio's reviews, I got two consecutive phone calls, one right after another. One was from my roommate and the other was from my downstairs neighbor. Whatever it was, was probably not good. I excused myself from the room and got the lowdown. Our apartment was flooding- or at least flooding from our bathroom. We got some water on the floor in the kitchen and bathroom, but our downstairs neighbor was getting a torrential downpour from his ceiling light in the bathroom. 

My roommate thinking quickly shut off the water main to the house and we called our maintence guy who came right out. Apparently one of the bathroom pipes had rusted through and burst, and another was also leaking through the rust. By the time I got home, the situation was cleared up enough that I could take a shower and do laundry.

I suppose I must get around to talking about reviews. Our reviewers were much too nice. Instead of saying that my project was terrible and inhumane and incomplete, they suggested that it had a lot of potential and had I considered changing the backside and reconsidered the urban strategy. It's was a polite review for a half-baked project. Depressing. At least I opened it with a short introduction totally in Chinese which impressed the hell out of everybody. It's too bad my project was such a lousy follow up act.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende