Jul 4, 2013

¡feliz cuatro de julio!

It's been a pretty tame 4th of July so far for me. I came to work as usual, grabbed an atole de arroz (hot sweetened rice and corn flour beverage), and got to work. To mark the occation, I went to Wendy's, the first time I've been to an American chain restaurant here (apart from the soulless [im]personal pizzas Domino's sells down in the metro). This is easily the nicest, most clean Wendy's I've ever seen. Free wifi included. Granted, its on Reforma, which is kind of like going to the McDonald's on Champs L'Eysees in Paris: rich buisnesmen are its clients. And the most smiley service I've seen in Mexico so far. They are so freaking happy to help you, please thank you.

In honor of the American obesity epidemic, I splurged on a 'Baconator', and grande fries and sprite. Splurged, because my total came to about eight bucks. For sake of comparison, my typical lunch is $2.70.


I have to say, it was worth it. The burger was delicious. I can't remember the last time I've had a hamburger. It stuffed me pretty well, actually. I think my stomach has been shrinking since usually I don't feel stuffed to the gills after a simple burger combo.

I went for a walk to bajar la comida (down the food) and walked by the US Embassy. Amid the metal barricades, the "no photographs" signs, the heavily armed security, there was a handwritten note in english in the security window:
It's the 4th of July! We are closed!
 No plans tonight, except perhaps to continue working on my Spanish and continuing my search for gainful employment. It's a pretty sad comparison to past 4th of July's.

Last year, Saori and I went to the Boston Harbor to watch a ship sail from the war of 1812, and then watched fireworks in the park and got drenched with rain. The year before, me, Saori, Tay, and Tay's ex had pizzas and beer on Mill avenue in Tempe before watching the fireworks from Tempe Town Lake. Eight years ago, when I was very close to where Saori is now, Chase and I visited Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin and hunted down the US Embassy to salute the flag there. I had just been accepted into upper division at ASU.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende