Jul 22, 2013

things to do before I leave mexico

1) Oaxaca - the city, the countryside, the beaches, the food. It sounds like I could spend a week in Oaxaca. Maybe at the end of my internship.

2) Dinner with the Patinos-Pratos, I still owe them big time. Maybe that Coox Hanal restaurant....

3) Go to a Lucha Libre wresting match in the Mexico Arena

4) Drink pulque in a pulqueria. Pulque is the ancient Aztec ancestor of mescal, crudely fermented, and lower in alcohol content.

5) Visit my friend Jose in Colima. It's a long trip, but it sounds amazing. Weekend trip.

6) Xilitla and the Jardin de Posadas. Xilitla was a tiny village that attracted an eccentric British architect maybe a hundred years ago. The architect built a fantasy garden in the middle of the jungle, filled with architectural follies, stairs to nowhere, etc. etc. It looks phenomenal and surreal.

7) Visit SantaFe and have a drink somewhere upscale. Santa Fe is the new CBD based on American models- its impossible to get to without a car, the architecture is all modern and upscale and the entire area is scaled to be completely pedestrian unfriendly. Why do I want to see it? Because I want to see what our cultural exports look like on an urban scale.

8) Find something really cool and buy it. I've already started looking for the one amazing thing. I know it sounds like I'm going to look and look and end up buying an overpriced sombrero at the airport gift shop, but I have a feeling I'm close.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende