Jul 18, 2013

who was that masked man?

Today, I was crossing the street with a big crowd of pedstrians near my office, listening to my music and thinking about buying some pan dulce when I suddenly I'm walking next to this guy in black with the luche libre mask and wristbands in zebra crossing colors. I got a little overexcited, but its not every day you meet an actual masked hero out defending the pedestrians of the city.

I stop and yell "Peatonito! Mi hombre!!" we do that handshake/bro-hug thing and I tell him "Muchas gracias, seƱor! Andale!" I can tell he's a little bemused and confused but asks me "¿de donde eres?" and I reply as I depart "Estados Unidos".

I'm still geeking out over it. There's something about seeing someone, who admittably, looks a little outrageous, doing something a little extreme for the common good, that charges me up, makes me think, what am I doing to help? Peatonito has a day job, he's not gettting paid to don a mask and fight aggressive drivers. He does it because as an urban planner, he knows what the stakes are and he's willing to dive in do something. What am I doing with my time off? Mostly wasting it online. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende