Jul 10, 2013

slight variations on the typical day

Yesterday, I got my final porcelain crown cemented in place, and the dentist carefully ground and polished it to the point where it felt identical to the tooth that there before. It looks great and I'm so happy that I got it taken care of.

Today when I got to work, Julietta was sitting down in the elevator lobby outside the door. Ed was late. Or sick.  Anyway, I took a seat and we chatted and gradually more coworkers showed up for our hallway party.

The rest of the office who weren't on vacation trickled in and around 9:15, Juan Pablo arrived with the keys to let us all in.

It was a slow day at the office. I sat down with Juan Pablo and we talked about the house project I'm working on and I picked up the edits. Big salad for lunch.

The Museo Tamayo was showing a movie about architecure at 7:30, so after work, I quickly walked over to Chapultapec park through a light rain. What do architects and designers look like in Mexico City? About the same as architects and designers in the US, except a little more Mexican. It was the usual sea of monochrome, thick framed glasses, slim jeans and sneaker.

I ran into Sofia there, who was there with her boyfriend, and we tried to buy tickets for the show. Sold out. I can't believe they sold out of tickets to a movie about architecture ten minutes before the show.

Sofia invited me out for a drink, so we walked over to a kind of sports bar on Reforma and grabbed a seat on the top floor balcony. We had a few beers and talked about Mexico and Mexicans and work. Sofia is Columbian and her boyfriend is Argentine. Arguing with the Argentine over US superiority in the pizza department made me ravenous for pizza, so after we split up, I caught the metro over to the pizza bar on Neuvo Leon at the edge of Condesa.

It's the best pizza I've had in Mexico City, and it is actually, Argentine. They just dont have good American pizza representation here, which is kind of ridiculous. All of the US has access to good pizzas, yet less than an 10 hour drive from the US border, they have these thin, sad, pathetic excuses for pizza. I think most Mexicans just don't have anything better to compare it with.

Home was about a ten minute walk from the pizza bar. I love living in a city where I can walk to get almost everything I need, including decent pizza.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende