May 23, 2013

decadent thursday

I'm working on improving my diet here, by which I mean, eating more. This morning I walked the 40 minutes to work, and stopped by the Swiss bakery for some breakfast pastries. Interestingly, the walls were full of Picasso prints, and his portrait was featured prominantly. Either the owners totally spaced on the fact that Picasso was Spanish, or there's some other connection of which I'm totally unaware.

Anyway, got a sugared croissant, a kind of nut muffin, and this massive thing that had something to do with apples. The outside was a kind of crusty sweet shelter, folded up to protect the inner pastry, which was a kind of very moist apple cake, and by the time you got to the center of this confectionary citadel, you were eating baked cinnamon apples.

For lunch today, I went with Jose and Sergio to the comida corrida place a few streets up. I'm just going to start calling it Tony's since there's a guy with a mustache who calls himself Tony, and sometimes we converse in English. Anyway, today's lunch was a kind of spicy boiled beef dish with nopales (prickly pear cacti), and the cold squash salad that I really like topped with farmers cheese, plus, rice, beans, and tortillas. 35 pesos, or about $3. Actually, cheaper than my three pastries this morning.

Then a little before five, I grabbed Moises and we headed next door for the 2X1 frozen yogurt. It's a pretty popular thing right now, actually today the line was out the door and down the sidewalk. Everyone there from the surrounding office buildings, doing the same thing we were.

Dinner was less than spectacular: my last package of shin ramen. Time to make a stop by the korean store again. Since tomorrow's a shorter day, I'm going to try to hit the local markets for some fruits and veg.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende