May 9, 2013

[maybe] Y.E.S. 2.0

I skipped lunch today to work on a poster for an exhibition of work (YES 4.0). the Year End Show is basically an exhibition of graduating or graduated student work who still gives a dime about academic projects. Basically, its an opportunity for the school to parade schoolwork in front of alumni and parents.

Why am I doing it? On the off chance I happen to walk through the gallery with my dad and grandma and brother, I can show it to them, although my brother’s already seen me at my finest. This exhibit is pretty weak actually. The difficulty is presenting work of over a hundred students in single gallery, and the answer for now seems to be making giant folded paper things that roughly resemble a creased garment bag. To be fair, the organizer has attempted to get more student interest in designing a better display, but so far that hasn’t panned out, mostly because they’re asking students to submit proposals at the worst time of the semester.

If I was doing it, I’d say, alright buckos, submit TWO images and TWO paragraphs that talk about your work or an aspect of your work in school. And then that goes into a rotating slide show projected on the wall.

Anyway, I’m going to go into work early tomorrow to finish it up. At least we don’t have to pay printing costs.

Also, during lunch, I bought a return ticket to Mexico, one way. It took me a long time to get my head together enough to do this simple task and I’m paying the price. Close to $500. I could get a round trip ticket, but the return would be wrong and I’d have to change it and it could cost me another $100 and then some, while for the same total price, I can just buy my ticket back the states a little earlier next time.
Actually, it is a significant day for me, because this is the first time in my life that I used a credit card to make a purchase.

Anyway, after my intimate encounter on the bus, I was ravenously hungry, mostly because I hadn’t eaten anything all day except for some bread in the morning, so I walked over to Central de Pizzas on Nuevo Leon. They have a counter on the sidewalk where you can pull up a bar stool. The pizzas there are amazing. They bake the slices in the pizza oven while you wait, and the crust is thick and delicious and the pizza is thin on sauce, but overflowing with mozzarella cheese. Today I got a slice of pepperoni, and a slice of Marguerite, and they were just amazing. Topped with fresh oregano, and pickled green olives, and served up on a beat up wooden plate with a knife and fork. So good.

They also serve empanadas, so I’ll need to pick up a box to take home sometime.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende