May 14, 2013

travel day - back to the US

Took a slow start today. My flight wasn’t until the afternoon, so I slept in a full two minutes longer than my alarm, and then got packing. I made a second trip to the market at la Ciudadela, to pick up a few more things. Not as many stalls open during the weekday.

I left the apartment way early. Kay told me about a sitio taxi stand (much more reliable and safe than hailing a cab) down the street that she uses, and I found it pretty easily. About 30 minutes to the airport, M$140.
No problems checking in or clearing security or immigration, although I had to wait at the check in desk line for at least 45 minutes. Resisted a last minute urge to buy a ridiculous sombrero for graduation.

Flight was only about 90 minutes. Mexico city is so close to the US. Hopped off the plane and was the first to reach an empty immigration and customs hall. Breezed right through after a few questions. Wheels on ground to legally in the country in probably under 15 minutes.

Casey drove out and picked me up and took me back to their house in the “Norman Rockwell" gated community. Casey told me that Saturdays, kids open a lemonade stand in the park. Lots of large brick houses and small parks and large yards.

Casey and Jarret took Logan and I out to dinner at a really good American place. They told me that they usually take visitors out for Mexican food, but…..

I had a pulled pork sandwich on a cibatta, served with sweet potato fries and a shared a bottle of wine with Casey, and it was all great. Logan had recovered from surgery and was happily dropping everything he could reach on the floor of the patio outside where we ate.

Its incredible how fast he grows, but I’m more surprised by his behavioral development. He was feeding himself, and looking around more, much more aware of his surroundings and changes in it.
Anyway, more travel tomorrow as I continue to St. Louis with my midmorning flight out of here.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende