May 2, 2013

the casi-cantina

To cap a busy holiday, my friend Pepe and I went hunting for a place to sit and have a beer tonight in el cento. Pepe picked a dive bar of the main tourist drag and we went in. I asked him, “is this a cantina?" And he looked around and said, “it’s an almost cantina.(casi-cantina)"

I asked for further explanation of what made this place a casi cantina-First of all, there were women here and even a kid. He called this place a “cantina familiar" (family cantina). An authentic Mexican cantina is characterized as a bar with these characteristics:
  1. only men. If there’s women present, generally they’re selling something.
  2. high levels of drunkenness
  3. higher levels of machismo
  4. high levels of conviviality. Apparently its not uncommon for patrons to buy a beer for a stranger
Anyway, we had a few beers, talked about life, the difficulties of being a “practicante" (intern), the office, etc, good times. My Spanish always improves after two beers. We called it a night after being the last patrons, (really? Before ?) and headed back to our respective colonias.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende