May 24, 2013

eye tacos

Today, I caught David, one of the principals of the office, repeatedly checking the window.

It turned out he was looking for his architecture students from the studio he teaches part of the time in Dusseldorf. I don't know how you can not find the the office, actually. It's on Reforma, between two major monuments less than a quarter mile apart.

Anyway, in trooped a bunch of german students, and I couldn't help but notice that of the entire group of about twenty students, there were only about two guys. I don't know if its just the changing demographics of who studies architecture in Germany or if its an all girl university, or what.

As they wandered around the office, shooting photos of models, sketches pinned to the wall, etc, one of my coworkers leaned over conspiratorially and told me he didn't mind the tacos del ojos. In the US, we use the expression eye candy. In Mexico, it's eye tacos.

The invasion of young German women notwithstanding, today was a long day. I was pulled off the house project I've been working on, and put on the proposal for housing in France. There's a big meeting monday in Paris where they're sending one of the new interns. I don't know why they picked her to go over me. OK, sure, she can speak Spanish, German, and, fine, French, but I've worked at a the office at LEAST three weeks longer than she has.

Hopefully they're picking up the tab for the hotels, trains, flights, meals, etc. What they pay us per month might cover transportation within cities, if she sticks to mass transit.

Anyway, worked until a little before 11 tonight. I was thinking hey its friday, maybe I'll be able to go get some groceries, do some shopping, hit the bank, get some reading done, enjoy a nice dinner, drink some tequila, but by the time I got home, the only thing left available to me is the tequila.

Lunch was really good. A giant styrofoam cup full of chicken soup. They called it gallo de pollo. Chicken soup. I'm not sure what region of Mexico it's from but it was fatnastic. It's basically what you'd imagine chicken soup to be, but with chickpeas, finely shredded chicken, salsa, cilantro, onion, and an entire lime squeezed in, plus chunks of avocado. Green corn (or blue corn, somewhere in between) tortillas served on the side. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Finally got off work and walked to the metrobus. 11 pm is an interesting and active time for the Zona Rosa on a friday night. Couples and groups of friends going out to bars, lively restaurants and cafes, the occasional pimp and hooker.

Not many people on the metrobus tonight. Stopped to grab a bite at my local taco stand. Three tacos of seasoned pork (I think it was pork) heavily loaded up with pico de gallo. I don't know what it is about late night tacos, especailly when you're tired. They're just so good. They fit the late night so well, like coffee fits the morning.

The whole experience is unique- the mobile taco stand lit by compact flourescents, an island of food and steam and light in a dark urban sea. You can eat alone and not feel awkward. I'm reminded of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks. but with tacos.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende