May 8, 2013

The Golden Ticket

Today, while at work, a bunch of my coworkers went over to the window and were looking down. By the time I got over there, I saw the last of a large group of people moving quickly in one direction across the street. Apparently, there was a huge crowd of people chasing after a car.

My friend explained: It was apparently the CEO of one of the biggest energy companies in Mexico, maybe PEMEX. Anyway, if he gives you his business card, you can take it and get a job at the company. It’s a free ticket to employment.

I don’t know if the story is true- for one, how do people know its the CEO unless he’s got an instantly recognizable face and rides around in a car marked “el Jefe Grande," which, given the lethal bomb attack at PEMEX headquarters earlier this year, doesn’t seem that likely.

Also, why don’t people just make up a card or find a photocopy or make some other kind of forgery?
There’s something about the story which resonates to me though. Mexico City is still a very mythic place. I can easily see the oligarchs playing up the Baron role, throwing favors such as a job in the royal stables to the masses of “serfs". Part of me wants the story to be true because it is so outrageous.

Or maybe it was just Beiber.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende