May 19, 2013

STL: Sunday

In my travels, I keep telling people how close we are in the US to Mexico City. Actually, Mexico City is under two hours from Houston and San Antonio, and you can drive here from the US border in about 8 hours (not that it's recommended).

Despite all of this, however, it does seem to take a very long time to get here.

I shelled out $500 for a late departure from St. Louis that would get me into Mexico City late sunday night, so I'd be able to come into work for a full day Monday morning.

I got the first advantage of the ticket- I got to spend the morning with Dad and Taylor and Neri and a wonderful brunch at Brasserie by Niche in Central West End, where I stuffed myself on pecan waffles, brioche french toast, mimosas, and begines. Afterwards, I took them to City Museum. It's hard to describe what the place is. You really just need to go and see it with the understanding that its an amazing place and well worth the visit.

Dad seemed to really enjoy it, although Neri was a little scared of all the hiding places and grotesque sculptures.

Anyway, we dropped Tay at his car at the hotel and he drove off back to Bloomington, and I caught a ride back to the airport with Dad and Neri. My flight was to Houston first, and then on to Mexico City, although dad had a cheaper flight that connected in Kansas City.

I hung out at the airport for awhile waiting for my flight. It was actually delayed about two hours, which made me really sweat considering my connection was not that long and that flight was the last flight of the day. Somebody hawking Hindusim asked me if I believed in Karma. I told him, "No." He said, "well, do you think that you could believe in Karma?" I thought about it and told him, "I suppose I could believe in anything if I really wanted to." He then asked me if I wanted to take a book, and I walked on. He shouted after me "I wasn't ready the first time either!"

The Baghivad Gita. I read that when I was a freshman in college.

Anyway, I had a very long day at the St. Louis airport waiting to get on a plane. They canceled a few flights, I watched Oklahoma get pounded by tornados, and finally jumped on a plane around 7:40. My flight was scheduled for about 6.

In Houston, they told us we'd missed all our connections, and they might be able to give us some discount vouchers for local hotels. I talked to a desk agent, and they wouldn't even give me taxi fare downtown. I should have read the fine print on the ticket.

"If delays or missed connections are caused through the fault of the airline, then the customer is entitled to free lodging, food, drinks, and spa treatments. If the fault lies with the 'control tower' then the customer is entitled to make a run for it while airline employees attempt to pee on him or her. The airline shall determine where the fault lies."

United Airlines: Uh Oh! Looks Like Rain!tm

So, I paid $50 to take a cab to dad's house in Houston. It's aggravating to shell out 10% on top of my expensive ticket that turned out to be useless for getting me back in time, especially since 1) I could have saved about $200 by getting an overnight ticket directly, and 2) $500 is more than my monthly paycheck.

Anyway, the silver lining was getting to spend a little more time with dad.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende