May 1, 2013

lost weekends

What a busy past few days! Last week starting Wednesday, I jumped on a team working on a competition, and basically spent every day making diagrams and renderings from 8:30am to 8pm. Except for the past three days.

My plan was to take a cab with all my stuff Sunday morning. Saturday night, exhausted, I arrived back to the house and realized I didn’t have enough cash for a cab, so I decided to do a two part move with essentials in the first trip. Tired, I packed my bags Saturday night.

Sunday, I woke early, intending to head over to Kay’s before going into the office. As I was leaving, I decided it was bad enough to have arrived empty-handed, worse to leave like a thief in the night, so I went to the grocery store and bought flowers for the family, leaving them in a vase with a note.
I told them I’d be back this weekend to pick up the rest of my luggage, and I would also like to bake something for them to bring with me.

I went straight to work carrying my duffel. I was actually a bit early, so I sat on a bench along Reforma and watched all the cyclists and roller skaters and walkers go by. (Sundays, there are a few major streets totally closed to traffic and opened up for bicyclists, and its really fun and peaceful to just sit and watch a few thousand casual bicyclists pedal by.-Ed.)

Sunday we worked from 1030am until 1030pm. They bought us lunch and dinner from a delivery place that serves pastas, baguettes, salads, enchiladas, pizza, really a wide menu. My friend commented that we live the luxury life at this office, that we are treated exceptionally well here, especially in comparison with other Mexican firms.

I made a lot of diagrams, mostly cleaning up and adapting cad and sketch up files and putting the diagrams together in illustrator. It’s actually pretty enjoyable work because it’s mostly making cool graphics, and trying to figure out the best way to communicate a complex idea clearly.

My supervisor drove a few of us to the metro station and I caught a late train to Chilpancingo, my new home station. I got a little turned around, wandering around on too little sleep and schlepping a duffle bag, but I finally found the apartment and Kay let me in. I unpacked a few things, and crashed.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende