May 27, 2013

working at epcot

For the next two weeks, Paseo de Reforma, the street in front of my office, plays host to the international fair of Mexico City. Groups from about fifty counties have put up tents and from midmorning to late afternoon...mostly sell stuff. Most of the tents have a food component, which made me really excited until I saw the prices. Still, I couldn't resist some jamon crudo on bread from the Spanish pavilion, and I picked up a pork sandwich from the Cuban tent, which also sold cigars.

Many tents had hot food, and most had packaged desserts, pastries, bottles of national alcohol, etc. My friend M had to pull me away from the Belgian pavillion, with all the bottles of incredible Belgian beers. $50 pesos a bottle. It's only $4, but that's also a breakfast pastry plus a full meal, and I've been overspending lately as it is.

We only had time to see Europe and parts of South America, some of the Middle East, and a few countries of Africa. I had to hurry through the Panamanian pavilion because it was nothing but tons of beautiful panama hats for sale. See the above paragraph.

The downside, apart from the temptation to spend, is that our proximity to the Ecuadorian and Peruvian pavilions ( no coey, I checked) is that with the office windows open, we are continually listening to Andean flute music on repeat. I listened to "el pass coindor" at least once an hour the entire day, and also some flite covers of "the sound of silence" and "my heart will go on."

It's going to be a long two weeks.

Dinner tonight was package udon soup with a half avocado, eaten with a spoon.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende